Sunday, April 1, 2007

Full on French: Jean Royer Chateauneuf-du-Pape Tradition


I have not had a bottle of French wine for myself in a long time (shame on me?). I, like most Americans have been obsessed with American, South American, and the occasional Australian wines. Because of the variety, complexity and inconsistency of availability of French wines, I am often lazy in my purchases and just go for a Cali Cab.


I have a friend who works for a wine dealer and I go to their shop every once in a while.They have a great selection of wines from around the world. One day I visited they shop with no particular agenda. I figured I might as well get a French wine.I picked out a Jean Royer Chateauneuf-du-Pape. There was no rhyme nor reason-I just wanted to try a French wine and I almost picked at random. Truthfully, I am not as up on the classification of French vines as I should be (this may be why I don't buy them as much).


In any case. I made the purchase and waited for a calm Friday night to enjoy. The first thing I noticed about this wine was that it did not present any sort of fruit characteristics in its initial presentation.Instead, earthy highlights greeted my palate. I could tell right away that the whole design of this wine was to break its distinction from the natural essence of the grape it came from and morph into something much more. The grape was the caterpillar, the vinting the cocoon, and the wine the butterfly. I think this is what sets apart French wines from most California wines. California wines showcase the fruit qualities of the grapes they are born to. French wines are born to become Something set apart from the fruit they came from.


After the notice of the earthy tone, I tasted raisins faintly. The wine was amazing and I am glad I picked it up. I was a pleasant break from my normal routine.

I have added a link to a Danish sight that has information on the Jean Royer wines (and many other of the Chateauneuf-du-Pape wines).



Jean Royer Chateauneuf-du-Pape Tradition 2001

Color/Appearance: 4

Nose: 4

Taste: 4.5

Consistency: Unknown

Overall: 4