Sunday, March 11, 2007

Grimbergen. . .Abbey Ale Heaven

I devoted my first wine article to one of my favorite wines my first beer article is for one of my favorite beers. I am a huge fan of the wide range of beers from Belgium. Out of the Belgian beers, the Trappist/abbey style ales are my favorite. Trappist ales were traditionally brewed by the Trappist order of monks in Belgium and the Netherlands. The Trappist have strict guidelines for the brewing, distribution and consumption of ale. Therefore, there are only a handful of true Trappist ales brewed. Many breweries use the term Abbey ale to denote an ale brewed in the Trappist tradition, but not associated with the Trappist Order. Over the years, these abbey ales have become more and more varied and the some of the original interpretation lost as creativity mutated the style.

Of all the abbey ales, Grimbergen is my favorite. Grimbergen is brewed by Alken-Maes in Belgium. There are several different Grimbergen brews: Blonde, Dubbel, Tripel, Optimo Bruno and the Cuvee De L'ermitage. I have had a chance to try the Dubbel and the Tripel. Both were somewhat pricey (~$15.00 a six-pack), but were well worth it.

The Dubbel Grimbergen is my favorite of the two that I have sampled. It is dark and it pours with a handsome, toffee colored head. Toffee carries over into the aroma and initial taste. This is followed by coffee and sweet malt syrup. The head remains and leaves a beautiful lacing on the glass. While the Grimbergen Dubbel is very sweet and malty for a beer, it is not over powering. Some barley wines and other strong malt examples must be sipped. This is not the case with the Dubbel. It is just smooth enough to quaff like a session beer, but because of its full body, I normally feel satisfied after two or so.

I have difficulty finding any example of the Grimbergen line, but when I do, I snatch it up as if it were gold!




GRIMBERGEN Dubbel

Color/Appearance: 5

Head: 5

Nose: 5

Taste: 5

Consistency: 5

Overall: 5



Grimbergen Glass Image from http://www.sonverre.be/

No comments: