I am on my way to New Orleans. Having lived on the Gulf Coast for three years, I have had the pleasure of visiting New Orleans several times. This is my first trip after the devastation of Katrina. I remember the old world charm and the intense blend of cultures. While the storm may have smashed the buildings of New Orleans, hopefully the spirit of the city did not sway one bit to the onslaught.
Of course the two characters that New Orleans is known for are food and music. Yet it is not just characters that make up a story. If food and music are the characters to the New Orleans story, then the Cajun culture is the plot and the Bourbon Street social scene is the setting. Don’t forget the Mississippi River and the French Quarter as supporting cast as well.
When it comes to food, my favorite place is Café Royale. This multi-storied restaurant sits at the corner of Bourbon Street and Royale Street, This corner building is painted a light pink and it stands out from its neighbors. As with most of the buildings in the French Quarter, it offers wrought iron balconies for its patrons dining on the second floor. I remember one of their untraditional dishes, a jambalaya pasta. The andouille sausage was so fresh and the spices were intense. Another food fare that I can not wait to sample again is an oyster poor boy. This is a sub sandwich made simply with fried oysters and tarter sauce. It is rich and creamy and crunchy.
The seafood on the gulf coast is diverse yet unique from other regions. Seafood is one of my dearest culinary passions. I hope that Katrina did not wipe out the Gulf’s seafood supply.
I will continue to post as my trip progresses.
No comments:
Post a Comment